Friday, March 7, 2014

Lent

Well Mardi Gras festivities are over (and it was awesome!) and Lent and spring are upon us. For those of you who participate in Lent, you know that deciding what to do/give up can be difficult. And after doing this for 18 years, I'm starting to exhaust my options. I most likely will give up sweets/junk food as I do each year in hopes of looking better by Spring Break.

However, I usually like to try and incorporate something new into my everyday routine that brings me closer to God and more spiritually balanced. I think that giving something up for Lent just because you're "supposed to" isn't the point of Lent at all. The point is to give something up in sacrifice (hence, giving up junk food) but also growing in your faith in some way. Through high school, I would always dedicate 1-2 lunch periods out of the week to sitting in quiet in my catholic school's chapel. Being a college student now, I don't always have all of these options at my disposal.
After giving it much thought, I've decided that one thing I will do is incorporate some religious activity aside from mass into my week; this could be going sit in quiet meditation in the church or chapel for a little while or attending life group and team building activities. Another thing I'm going to do is journal each night. And within my journaling, I'm going to list something I love about myself every day and why I love it. Most people don't know that I've suffered with severe self-hatred (post on that later) and though I'm doing better, I still go back to that dark place sometimes. So I think that forcing myself to write good things about myself each night will help in growing in more self-love.
So whatever you decide to give up or do for Lent, make it something meaningful and worth your time, something that can help you grow!
HAPPY FRIDAY! and a little green tea inspo:]


No comments:

Post a Comment