Friday, May 23, 2014

healthy traveling

as most people find, it's pretty hard to stay healthy while traveling or going on vacation. While I do believe in indulging while on vacation and not worrying too much about it, I feel much better when my unhealthy treats are accompanied by some healthier foods; I feel, think, and look so much better. 

This past week, I went with two of my best friends to Carillon Beach, Florida and had a blast! The beach was pretty scarce, the water looked like a swimming pool, and the sky was cloud-free every single day - my perfect little getaway! 


One problem I have with traveling is the drive....I get so bored and therefore SO HUNGRY!
So I packed a little ice chest of a full days worth of food. My friend and I left at 5:00 Monday morning so I knew I'd be hungry all day. 

My bag contained:
- breakfast: ATKINS Cafe Mocha protein shake and half of a bagel
- snack: a cup of celery and carrots & a cup of mixed strawberries, blackberries, and grapes
- lunch: a low carb tortilla with some sliced turkey, cheese, lettuce, and sriacha sauce
- snack: Trader Joe's blueberry yogurt 
- dinner: a grilled chicken/pepper/beef/onion stir fry with steamed asparagus, 
sweet potatoes, & a salad!

I didn't take too many pictures of food, seeing as I was on vacation and was trying to stay away from technology (which I actually didn't do too well with). 

Tuesday morning we woke up, enjoyed our coffee, and then ate some delicious baked biscuits with honey ham and cheddar cheese...with a side of strawberries - combo of healthy and not-so-healthy. 

After laying out all day, we were STARVING for dinner. For dinner that night, we went to a restaurant about 30 minutes away called Schooners! It was very beachy and even had a live, acoustic band playing! 

Don't have a picture but I split the seared tuna steak (yummmmmmy!!!!) & the crabcakes (even better!) with one of my friends. I also ordered a side of steamed vegetables. And of course we had to get ice-cream after :)
I repeat: a healthy & unhealthy balance was my game plan. 

Wednesday morning, I actually peeled myself out of bed for a 40 minute run/walk on the beach. It was so peaceful and relaxing. I mean just look at that view!


After my run, I ate a delicious blueberry waffle, which I topped with half of a sliced banana & then my friends and I walked with her dad around the Carillon neighborhood and lemme just say... this little town is just so stinking adorable and I can't wait to come back!


For dinner Wednesday, we had two types of stuffed chicken: one stuffed with crawfish etoufee and one stuffed with an undone baked potato! + + asparagus and salad on the side! Again, AMAZING!

Later that night we went out to La Vela, the biggest bar in the country. Not going to lie, it was pretty cool to go to such a place. It was huge and had like 8 different themed bars. Let's just say not much sleep was had that night :]
On our last day, Thursday, we woke up kind of early (considering our late night) and had breakfast casserole! It consisted of eggs, crumbled sausage, sliced honey ham, and cheese; all baked into one dish. I am actually slightly allergic to egg yolks & if I eat too much I get really bad stomach aches. BOOO!

So I cut a small piece of casserole and ate a Greek yogurt on the side. 

Since it was our last day, we decided to lay out on the beach until 3:00, pack the car, and then leave. On our ride home, we decided to stop at Panera (because how can you not?!) and get dinner!
I wasn't feeling too well & I wanted to eat a lot of nutrient-dense foods yet still indulge a little. I ordered the choose 2, with the new strawberry lemon poppy seed salad (lettuce, grilled chicken, strawberries, blueberries, mandarin oranges, and pecans!) and the Mediterranean veggie sandwich (cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, lettuce, and hummus on tomato basil bread!)

Both were ridiculously amazing! The three of us also split a double chocolate walnut cookie for dessert. 

See? Healthy + Unhealthy. It works!



Hope the warm(er) weather is treating everyone well!

No comments:

Post a Comment