Thursday, May 29, 2014

Tofu Stir Fry Meal Preppinnnnn'

I definitely don't meal prep enough anymore. Last summer, I did it at least twice a week and now I'm getting a little lazy. Being a grown up does that to ya I guess.

Anyway, today I got off my lazy butt and meal prepped an old fav or mine - tofu stir fry. I know what you're thinking...."tofu looks like slime. I don't eat slime" or "tofu tastes nasty". The latter is a favorite of mine since tofu takes the taste of whatever it is cooked/seasoned with, therefore, tofu itself doesn't "taste bad" but what it was cooked with did.

Tofu is a great food to incorporate into your diet. It is low calorie, low fat, and chock full of plant-based protein. Plus it can pretty much be cooked with anything!

But I understand the concerns. Honestly, the first time I ever bought tofu, I was so scared to try it that it ended up expiring in my fridge.

However, this recipe is not only my favorite way to eat tofu, it is also one of my favorite recipes EVER. & you can quote me on that.

I present Anna's Spicy Tofu Stir Fry:

ingredients:

  • 1 pound of organic extra firm tofu (the firmer you get, the less calories/fat it will have)
  • 1 frozen bag of mixed vegetables (I used a stir-fry blend)
  • garlic salt
  • parsley
  • cayenne pepper
  • cumin
  • tumeric
  • sesame oil
Step 1) Open tofu, chop it up (this can be done in the container), and throw it in the skillet.

Step 2) Add about 1/4-1/2 teaspoon of tumeric and cumin

Step 3) Add a dash of cayenne pepper and garlic salt

Step 4) Add a few pinches or so of parsley and a teaspoon of sesame oil


Step 5) Add the vegetables and cover it.

Step 6) Let it cook until the vegetables are no longer frozen, stirring occasionally.


While that is simmering, you can start on the sweet potatoes! 

First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. 

Second, chop the potato into cubes.


Third, sprinkle the cubes with cinnamon and place into the oven. 


They should take about 15-20 minutes but keep checking on them!

At that point, the stir fry should be about done!
I made enough for three meals so I divided the stir fry evenly into 3 containers for the weekend.
Once the 'taters were done, I divided the cubes as well. 


&& Voila! I now have 3 full meals ready to go. 

Calories: 200
Fat: 5
Carbs: 23
Fiber: 7
Protein: 14

Because this dish is so low in calories, I usually add a side of brown rice or a salad! Or I have a dessert after :]]




No comments:

Post a Comment